so breeding then..... ???

More
4 years 9 months ago #65013 by Thor
I've been in this hobby for about 10 months now, my collection has grown to 60 T's, all shapes sizes and colours.
I've been on this forum since i started and have learnt a fair section on tarantulas. I'll not claim to be a pro T keeper or any thing like that - I'd maybe categorize myself as being a knowledgeable noob.

At present I have no real intentions of breeding T's but would like to experience the process at some stage.

IF i chose to bread a T species it would not be for financial gain as such but more for the experience of the whole process. - I'm fully aware that there could be a potential of making shit loads of cash if i bread a rare species - the issue is that they are rare for a reason - and obviously aren't bread easily.

With all the above in mind, where does one begin???? (perhaps a question aimed at the more senior members of the forum.)

Lets say I want to take my T hobby to a new level and become a breeder (highly unlikely) how would someone like myself get a recognized breeder status if there is no beginning to the breeding process. ATM there is a lot of moaning about fake T collectors coming in rapeing the market and pissing off with a pocket full of cash.... fair enough there are people like that in the world as I'm sure in other hobbies the same thing occurs, what interests me is there is a post on this forum titled "What MM are available for sale or breeding loan?" this topic has over 8350 views and over 340 responses - so another question regarding this fact -> WTF is that all about - everyone want to swap and sell for breeding purposes, is it for the experience of tarantula breeding or for the financial gain.... hmmm i dunno......

Perhaps a more logical way around things is to start a posts that read as follows : I'm breading "X" (this would give people an idea of whats in the process and what can be expected down the line - who knows, maybe there are 50 people out these atm breading P.regalis - if one went to the post and saw ah "John" is breeding P.regalis then i know (1) not to breed P.regalis as they are being bred and (2) I know that if i want a P.regalis sling I can go to John, I can also be in touch John and ask how its going (3) we can all see if "John" is breeding the shit out of everything and trying to hog the whole market to himself)

I personally think that regarding all the breeding BS that's going around everyone needs to put down their hand bags and just look at finding a reasonable solution! Work together as a unit and not a one armed bandit, out to make a buck! - Perhaps some sort of a communal solution would be the answer to all the bull that's flying about.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Vixen82

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #65017 by Linn Currie

Thor wrote: I've been in this hobby for about 10 months now, my collection has grown to 60 T's, all shapes sizes and colours. I've been on this forum since i started and have learnt a fair section on tarantulas. I'll not claim to be a pro T keeper or any thing like that - I'd maybe categorize myself as being a knowledgeable noob.

Question : Has anybody insinuated at all that you were a "fly by night" with "bundles of cash"? Just curious ...

Thor wrote: At present I have no real intentions of breeding T's but would like to experience the process at some stage. IF i chose to bread a T species it would not be for financial gain as such but more for the experience of the whole process. - I'm fully aware that there could be a potential of making shit loads of cash if i bread a rare species - the issue is that they are rare for a reason - and obviously aren't bread easily.

And you are not alone - I'm positive there are many frequenting this forum with the same intentions. Some are vocal, some are not.

Thor wrote: Lets say I want to take my T hobby to a new level and become a breeder (highly unlikely) how would someone like myself get a recognized breeder status if there is no beginning to the breeding process.

Why do you say "highly unlikely"? Didn't you show interest in a MM recently? Or is your only interest in him to house him comfortably and let him live his last couple of months/years with you?

Thor wrote: ATM there is a lot of moaning about fake T collectors coming in rapeing the market and pissing off with a pocket full of cash.... fair enough there are people like that in the world as I'm sure in other hobbies the same thing occurs, what interests me is there is a post on this forum titled "What MM are available for sale or breeding loan?" this topic has over 8350 views and over 340 responses - so another question regarding this fact -> WTF is that all about - everyone want to swap and sell for breeding purposes, is it for the experience of tarantula breeding or for the financial gain.... hmmm i dunno......

The beauty of this forum and the fact that members are willing to share information of available breeding adults is that it only benefits the hobby. Once you start breeding, which I am sure you will be doing in the near future, I am positive that you will find those posts most informative and helpful :-)

Thor wrote: I personally think that regarding all the breeding BS that's going around everyone needs to put down their hand bags and just look at finding a reasonable solution! Work together as a unit and not a one armed bandit, out to make a buck! - Perhaps some sort of a communal solution would be the answer to all the bull that's flying about.

What "breeding BS" ??? I thought there were discussions held? 'Nother thing ... aren't hand bags usually for the female gender?

Not being confrontational, far from it .... only giving you my R5's worth :-)

[/quote]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #65022 by Thor
In response to Linn's response:

I sure am busy with the process of purchasing a MM P. Metallica, reason for this was the price was excellent for a start regardless of it's life span, and secondly I'm a huge fan of P.Metallicas, I currently have 3 already - like I said as well I'm no expert and don't particularly feel like I have the confidence or knowledge to breed them, P.S. I';m not the one with a MF P.Metallica looking for a MM P.Metalica btw - not sure who posted that...

no one has insinuated I'm a fly by night.

The handbag thing is just a figure of speech...

- that's me now at R5.50
The following user(s) said Thank You: Linn Currie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #65023 by Linn Currie
Thanks for the response Thor

I own five Metallicas ... simply cannot stop collecting these beauties, but that should not be news to you :-)

But I don't own a handbag :-(

Lekker naweek
Linn

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #65035 by Jake
It does not matter if you have one days worth of Experience, if you want to breed do so!

I tried mating a spider a month or 2 into my start of my hobby, also tried my hand at breeding a scorpions.
The only way you learn is to do something, But with that said ones needs to at least do some research and understand the task you are about to go into.

As I say the only way a person learns to bump your head and ask the person who has bumped he's head a few more times than you.

So if you want to breed do so, give it a try and see what happens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Linn Currie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #65037 by Linn Currie
Well said Cascade, thank you.

Knowledge is critical, experience comes a close second., Passion however, is most important :-)

Groete
Linn

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.378 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum