Rediscovering Pterinochilus lugardi

More
3 years 7 months ago #72504 by Dimitri Kambas
Early last year we made an important baboon spider discovery for South Africa. Please watch the video, share it if you like it, and let us know your thoughts and feelings on it. We hope you enjoy it and look forward to your feedback.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hendrik Steenberg, Jake

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #72505 by Milty Sauerman
Well Done you guys!

The video is awesome and informative, congratulations on your rediscovery!

I am proud of you!

If you love what you do you will never work a day in your life!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dimitri Kambas

More
3 years 7 months ago #72506 by Jake
Awesome!! And well done, I like the end with the head shots/slow motion theme like on survivor :thumbsup:
Just get the guys to be more natural in front of the camera :eyepoke: noob

Very interesting to watch the spinning of the entrance, how long did the spider take to finish spinning her trapdoor?
Has the rediscovery been re-classified as a new species?

More
3 years 7 months ago #72511 by Dimitri Kambas
Thanks Jake!

The biggest challenge for this to be a success was to create a flow and create the feel of a story. I captured random shots while in the wild and never had any clue or script to follow. All I did was put everything together at the end. I was lucky to have enough footage and finally create a full story.

The spinning of the entrance took about 12 hours shortened to what you saw at the end :) I will be making a video on its own just for that because it is amazing to watch.

Nothing has been changed taxonomically yet, but I believe it should become Idiothele lugardi.

More
3 years 7 months ago #72547 by Deon
Thanks Dimitri, really enjoyed the video. B) Seen again first time in 100 years ! How awesome is that. :rock Inspiring stuff, makes me want to go and walk in the veld!

Africa is a tough country. When the going gets tough, we get going.

• Patrick Gildenhuys
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #72565 by Patrick Gildenhuys
Well put together piece Dimitri :)

Just a few comments:

Dimitri Kambas wrote: Nothing has been changed taxonomically yet...

And nothing will be changed taxonomically, EVER, for Pterinochilus lugardi. The fact that they have the ability to make a trapdoor has nothing to do with taxonomy, it's a behavioural characteristic.

Dimitri Kambas wrote: ...but I believe it should become Idiothele lugardi.

I thought that you and Ian Engelbrecht worked together on this project? Why would you think that it should be Idiothele lugardi?
Anyway, you should probably ask Ian about his thoughts on this idea! According to Ian, males and females of this population both key out to Pterinochilus lugardi, and there is no doubt in his mind about this.

The very cool thing that you guys discovered is that the South African population of Pterinochilus lugardi can make trapdoors, not that anything needs to change taxonomically.

Nice movie once again, good to see Taki scratching around! :lol:
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Patrick Gildenhuys.

Time to create page: 0.401 seconds