Tarantula Venom Properties

More
4 years 4 days ago #71498 by Taki Tsonis
I just wanted to share with you something that I read many years ago concerning tarantula venom and wether you can have an allergic reaction to it.
Firstly let me say that not every species of tarantula's venom has been scientifically analysed but the few that have, had similar properties.
The reassuring thing is that most toxinologists agree that due to tarantula venom not having large proteins in their composition and being mostly peptide based, (peptides differ from proteins in the size of their chain, being much shorter), it's nearly impossible to have an allergic reaction to their venom.
Between that scientific info, the fact that there are no factual recorded fatalaties caused directly by tarantula venom and the fact that after having read through many, many bite reports with no accurate record of anyone suffering an allergic reaction, I feel it's virtually a given that you cannot have an allergic reaction (please note this is my opinion based on the above information!)
With that all said, has anyone here ever read any accurate bite report where someone had an allergic reaction?

You can take an Aphonopelma to crickets but you can't make it eat!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 days ago #71499 by Deon
Hi Taki, I think more factors come into play here, besides allergic reactions. Obviously the size of the person bitten, children being the obvious worry, but I can drink a bottle of wine with dinner, but my wife cannot finish a small glass. I can take two strong headache tabs for a babby next morning,but my wife can only take one, otherwise she'l fall asleep or at least be light headed.

So I think it might be a case of the person bitten's resistance level that would influence his/her reaction to the poison, more so than an allergic reaction, which could be treated with anti-histamine medicine.

Africa is a tough country. When the going gets tough, we get going.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 days ago #71500 by Taki Tsonis
Yeah for sure but it still boils down to the simple fact that there isn't a recorded death due to venom or an allergic reaction from a tarantula bite.
I'm not specifically only talking about an allergic reaction, I mean tarantula venom measured in total danger....

You can take an Aphonopelma to crickets but you can't make it eat!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 days ago #71501 by Stanley A. Schultz

Taki Tsonis wrote: I just wanted to share with you something that I read many years ago concerning tarantula venom and wether you can have an allergic reaction to it. ...


Some light reading for you. PubMed .


"The magnitude of our ignorance [about tarantulas] is staggering."
- S. A. Schultz, TKG3

The Tarantula Whisperers!
Stan Schultz
Marguerite Schultz
Co-authors of the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE, now in its third edition!
Private Messages have been turned OFF!
Please send all E-mail postings directly to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 days ago #71502 by Taki Tsonis
Hi Stan, maybe it's too early in the morning but what am I looking for in that link? :laugh:

You can take an Aphonopelma to crickets but you can't make it eat!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 days ago #71504 by Taki Tsonis
Found this which pretty much sums up my point, pay particular attention to Sheri's post half way down.
atshq.org/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3320&start=40

You can take an Aphonopelma to crickets but you can't make it eat!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.672 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum